Create a presentation that will describe a healthcare education tool for a specific health need of a specific population that is different than your own.
The presentation should:
- identify the population and how it is different than your own.
- discuss the importance of the health need.
- identify special learning challenges this population faces.
- include a description of the tool to teach the information and explain how it works.
- discuss how the literature supports the use of the technology you have chosen.
- explain how the tool contributes to critical thinking.
- explain how the tool contributes to nursing practice and patient outcomes.
1. Choose a population that is different than your own. For example: if you are a 25 year old woman, who is a U.S citizen and only speak English, choose an older male patient who is from another race, culture, or ethnicity and who speaks limited English).
- Identify the population and how it is different than your own.
- Discuss the importance of the health need. For this population. For example: there is an increased incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in the teen population so there a need for a tool to address this population’s special needs.
- Identify special learning challenges this population faces. For example: income, sensory impairment, or language.
2. Develop a teaching tool: Incorporate technology/multimedia into your tool. For example: texts, twitter, blogs, email, YouTube video, video-conferencing, Skype, computer or cell phone app, electronic brochures, and electronic booklets.
- Include a description of the tool to teach the information. Explain how the tool works but you do not have to actually create the tool. For example: your tool may be a web site but you do not have to actually create the site.
- Discuss how the literature supports the use of the technology you have chosen.
- Explain how the tool contributes to critical thinking – what skills does it develops.
- Explain how the tool contributes to nursing practice and patient outcomes.
Important note: Develop education materials at the sixth grade reading level to ensure the general population will understand the information. Use this simple readability index calculator to check any text that you may incorporate into your teaching materials. Just click on the link, and when it opens, copy and paste an example from your written text to reveal the reading level. You can also use Microsoft word to assess the reading level of your writing by selecting review, spelling and grammar, readability statistics.
Do not include:
- A description of the disease process
- What the client can expect from the disease
- Extraneous information; For example: if you are creating a tool for patients who have lung cancer do not include statistics about lunch cancer unless it is part of your tool.
The post pregnancy and smoking, health and medicine appeared first on Quality Nursing Writers.