THE BIOLOGY OF CANCER
Short Answer: Please be concise with your answers and as specific as possible.
1. Genes involved in cell cycle activity/survival are mutated to contribute to the development of cancer. Name the two categories of genes related to cell division that are mutated and how mutations affect their function and lead to cancer.
2. How can active transport activity by cells contribute to cancer?
3. How is it that changes in membrane fluidity can lead to tumor development?
4.What type of standard treatment should be used for metastatic adenocarcinoma? Explain your response.
5. What type of secondary/alternative treatment strategy should be used for treatment against hemangioma? Explain your response.
6. Assume that two individuals (A and B) develop the same type of cancer. Both individuals are given the best treatment found to be effective against cancer. Individual A responds well to treatment, while individual B does not. Using what you have learned, provide a specific type of cancer and an explanation for why there was a difference in response to treatment.
7. Name a type of virus that causes cancer and explain how it works. Include the type of cancer it causes in your response.
8. Genetic instability is the accumulation of DNA mutations, especially in cancer cells. How is genetic instability prevented in healthy cells?
9. Why does it make sense that the majority of cancers are non-hereditary?
10. What genetic profiling method do you think is best in identifying genes related to cancer? Include an explanation of why this method is better than other methods.
11. Which cancer screening method is best? Explain the type of cancer(s) it detects and why it is better than other methods.
"Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!"